The Butler Family

The Butler Family
WE ARE FAMILY!!!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Major Breakthrough, Continuing to Trust

Psalm 56: 3, 10-12
"When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise-
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?
I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you."

God has given us a victory this past week, and so there is reason to celebrate what He has done!  While I don't really want to share all the details, we saw great victory as we were able to talk with Aleeya about her fears and have her be truthful with us.  And we saw a return to peace within our home and within her life.  It was like a weight was lifted from all of us.  I am so thankful!

I am finding that there is so much to learn about raising a child that I have not known for eleven years.  I so wish that I had known her for her whole life, and I wish that so much of this didn't feel new every day, for her or for us.  But this is the path God has chosen for us, so we are asking for daily wisdom.  I know that there is much good happening in her life, and I am seeing the security build and the bonding happening.  And for that, I am thankful!

Last week especially, I found myself questioning my parenting style with her and wondering if I was doing it right for her.  I talked with a wonderful friend who has done social work with eleven year olds that encouraged me that it was ok, and to maybe try to focus on a couple of things at a time.  This allowed me to return to peace and not stress as much over all the details, which was great.  Yet it is hard to know which areas to focus on and what to let go . . . character issues, behaviors, school work, relationships?  Somehow they all seem to intertwine a bit and some may be fine for weeks and then come up again.  So, I am trying to learn to read her needs and work a little bit at a time and just show her love throughout it all.  I'm pretty sure I won't do it all right (and am accepting that "that's ok"), so I'm just going to give it my best shot and trust God for the results in all of this little by little.

I continue to struggle as I want to be fair and be sure I am doing right by all our children.  Are they all feeling love?  Do they get enough of my time?  Do I seem frustrated with them?  Am I treating each of them the same if they do well?  Am I treating each of them the same if they mess up?  While so much of me says to treat Aleeya like the rest of our children, that doesn't seem to work out so well.  So, I'm muddling through this as well.  I'm longing to be fair and to be loving and kind.  It's a little more difficult than I thought!

And then there's this little guilt that continues to come up, and I know it's from Satan, that makes me think I should be doing more.  I'm not currently working outside the home, and our finances show that it would be helpful for me to get going.  I'm not currently serving in a ministry at church, and I have always felt that is something that every church member should do and enjoy (and I have in the past).  Yet I feel no peace with starting myself going in either of these directions right now.  Currently, it seems that having a new child in our home is my full time job and ministry.  I do look forward to getting back into parenting ministry when God allows and would love to help our budget, but I need to trust that God has this time for me right now.

Each day I sense God asking me to trust Him completely . . . with my fears, with our finances, with our future.  And each new day that I awake with underlying fears and concerns,  I am taking them to Him and asking for His greatness to be shown in my weakness.  I am begging for Him to increase my faith and know that He is God and will show Himself strong on our behalf.

And so . . . we are so thankful for the breakthrough God gave us and continuing to trust that He will lead us and guide us through whatever comes our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment