The Butler Family

The Butler Family
WE ARE FAMILY!!!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Warfare, It's Really Happening . . . August 18, 2012

I'm not at all sure how to explain all of this, but this idea of spiritual warfare has come up multiple times over the past few months.  And what I mean by warfare is the war that is being raged against those that are seeking to follow God, versus the devil and his demons trying to dissuade us from following.  Now, I know and believe that our God is "greater than he that is in the world," and He has all power and knows all that is happening.  Yet, I need to be aware of the war that is taking place around me to try to destroy our faith, our family, and our future.

I've known the Scriptures from a child, and have known that the "devil prows around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (I Peter 5:8), but sometimes life can be going along well and you don't really notice the affects of it.  Well, since we have been in motion to adopt, I have known that we are under attack.  I have learned that Satan doesn't like "when we protect and welcome children, because we are announcing something about Jesus and His kingdom."  Satan has always been about the business of killing children (the baby Israelites during Moses' day, killing children under 2 when Jesus was born, and in our current world, abortion), and he very much dislikes "new beginnings and new life."  I have learned that "the Father is fighting for orphans, making them sons and daughters, and we should do the same."  As we have gone forward with adopting, we have faced more struggles, difficulties, and set backs over the past year and a half than we have ever faced before.  As well, we have so many friends that are in the process of adoption, or have adopted, that I have seen go through some really hard times!  As our family began facing tough stuff and I continued to hear of others really struggling, this idea of warfare came up over and over in my mind.  I mentioned it to a couple of friends that are in the same boat of adoption, and they too have felt it.  And then, as I began reading a book entitled "Adopted for Life" by Russell D. Moore, I saw it again.  Some of his book is quoted or summarized in these paragraphs.  I would highly encourage reading it!

So, the reason for this blog is to let you know that God loves the plan of adoption, and that spiritual warfare is taking place as we join in the adoption plan!  When I say God loves adoption, it comes in the context that adoption is part of His story of redemption.  It is written throughout the pages of the Bible.  Galatians 4:4-7 says, "But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.  Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'  So you are no longer a slave, but God's child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir." (The cool thing is that these same words will be used in the court room when we finalize our adoption of Aleeya.  They bring identity, a sense of belonging!  They will let her know that she's our child with a new birth certificate and everything, and that she has every right as an heir.)

You see, I have grown to understand that my God has adopted me, a sinner, once a slave to my birthfather the devil, into His family by way of the cross.  He gets adoption!!!  He invented it!  He has a very mixed family of all backgrounds and colors, and calls us His brothers and sisters because of our adoption.  This is incredible!  If we really got this, we would be so much better prepared to accept our brothers and sisters in Christ because we are all part of His family!  As well, we could accept the family that has so many beautiful colors in their family through adoption.  We would not think it odd to add a child of a different race and background to our family.  I believe I have taken my adoption into God's family for granted, and always acted like I was a natural heir of God.  But Jesus had to go through major pain and suffering on the cross for my sins to allow me a place in His family.

As I have gotten older, I have always believed that there are very strong pictures here on earth of our relationship with God.  When I got married, I realized that it was a picture of God and His bride, the Church.  I realized the impact of the one flesh union, the covenant relationship.  Then when we had children, I was amazed at the picture I saw of God's love for me, His child.  When I looked at this little baby in my arms who had so far only caused me discomfort for 9 months and then crucial pain during labor, and yet, I loved him more than life itself, I began to understand a small part of God's love for me, His child.  You see, He too suffered for me to be part of His family and loved me more than I could imagine!  I began understanding more about the "family of God," as we began interacting as a earthly family and desired to show God to the world through our lives.  As well, I can often see His family at work as I attend church or small groups and feel the love of my fellow Christians around me.

I don't think I have even come close to understanding His amazing plan of adoption until recently and still have much to learn, but I am understanding more and more why satan wants to mess this plan up (along with marriages and families).  He doesn't like it when we began to care for the needy, the oppressed, the orphans.  He doesn't like it when we understand our own orphan status.  He said in John 14:18, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."  You see, we are all orphaned by our sin, but God's grace allowed us to be His heirs.  I'm really beginning to get my adoption story.  My spirit longs and groans for the day when He will come back to take us to our forever home!

When we begin to show this adoption story by living it out, we need to be prepared for warfare.  I must say, I was less prepared than I would like to believe, but I am begging God for the strength and power to trust Him, to believe Him, and to have greater faith in Him!  And I'm thankful that I know He is with me each step of the way.  He is truly a faithful Father!

A friend of mine on Facebook posted this video and it gave me that goosebumps, ready to cry, passionate-inside feeling that made me want to share it with the world.  I hope you enjoy it and it helps you understand God's plan of adoption even more.  There are some pieces of a Veggie Tale movie (which we have always been fans of and need to purchase this one really soon), so enjoy those scenes.  But the lyrics are incredible and the song explains so much about our status as orphans!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5zlRABH9wQ

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for posting... these are things that I have never really even thought about, Susie! Jules

    ReplyDelete