The Butler Family

The Butler Family
WE ARE FAMILY!!!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Really Hard to Wait . . Again . . August 27, 2012

Well, since we signed adoptive placement papers on July 10, we have been waiting for one paper called a remittitur (at least I think that's what it's called) in order to get our court date scheduled.  We were told we should have it by August 21st or within that week no problem.  So, we waited and waited.

During all of this, we were scheduling a time for my parents to come out for the finalization since Aleeya had asked if they could.  She had only met them a couple of times the year before when they came out to California from Florida, but we thought it was pretty special that she asked for them.  My parents said sure they would love to come, and we began the process of getting them out with some airline miles.  That meant we had to plan a couple of weeks out to avoid fees.  Everyone said that it should be no problem to get a court date within 2-3 weeks of when we got the remittitur, so we tried to play it safe and scheduled them to fly out September 11th (which was pretty brave of them I thought - that date holds so many memories).  Then the paper wasn't coming, but everyone still felt like it shouldn't be a problem.  My parents could only stay about a week because of some missions work they had planned, but we waited to plan their return flight in case they just needed to be here one extra day.  So, basically, a lot was riding on our court date and we were in waiting mode.

On August 27th, our adoption agency moved forward with getting a court date since everything looked good with the paper coming and they went to the court house on August 27th to schedule our finalization day.  I was so excited . . until I got the call.  They were very surprised to find out that all the court dates were taken through the end of September.  There were a couple of dates that last week, but Aleeya would be at science camp.  This meant having to tell Aleeya that we would have to wait yet another two or three weeks longer than expected and having to let her and my parents know that they wouldn't be there for it. And we were just so ready, so planning on it being in September, and it was so hard to hear.  I got the call while I was at work.  Did I mention I went back to work this year?  I started working at the kids school 2 days a week as a "Special Projects Assistant" (basically helping out with extras at the elementary and high school), and I love it!  It's fun being there, working with some great people, seeing the kids, and making a little extra to help our family.  Anyhow, when I got the call it was early in the morning, and I was so wanting to cry and scream all at once, but I was at work and still kinda new there too!  It was like telling a 9 month pregnant woman that was really close to her due date that she just needed to wait a few more weeks past the date - no problem, right!  I couldn't see how this was in God's plan and why we would have to wait any longer!  It seems there were more adoptions finalizing than usual, which was a good thing, right?!

So they worked on getting us a good date in October.  Scott was supposed to be gone the first week of October to an awesome retreat called "the Journey."  So, I figured that was still on and we'd have to wait for the second week of October.  But Scott said he would cancel his trip for this, no problem, and asked that it be scheduled on Thursday, October 4th.  Now, this was a bit shocking to me because this is his birthday!  And if you know him, you know that he loves his birthday (kinda like a little kid that gets excited months before, lets everyone know what he might like to get, and wants the celebration to last as long as possible)!  So, after texting him like 3 or 4 times to be sure he wanted this date and reminding him that we would be celebrating both every year from now on, he came over to see me to say that he really wanted to share this date with her and was excited about it!  So, October 4th it was!  Later, I realized how awesome my husband is, and how cool this was that she would share something so special in our family history (if that makes sense).  I had read in an adoption book that it's great if you can find traits or special things that link your new child to their new family!

It took me awhile to be excited about it.  Aleeya was a little sad that we had to wait, and my parents were too, but both of them were pretty understanding.  Everyone else seemed excited we got a date, and didn't seem to understand that it was much further away than it should have been.  I was the only one still kicking and screaming.  It just didn't seem fair.  But I knew I had to accept it and trust God that He knew best.  So, we scheduled my parents return flights for September 17th and began talking about how neat it was that finalization day would be on daddy's birthday - this would be something really awesome!  I tried to act like it was ok in front of Aleeya, but felt so sad.  Yet it was time to begin planning that special day and a party was in order as well; so for that, I was excited!  It was at least good to know that we had a date and be settled with that information!  Now, to trust God with the end like we had the beginning . . . He who began a good work would complete it . . . in His timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment